Local food charity calls for support for most vulnerable
FareShare South West is calling for funding and volunteers to help get food to those who need it most
by Charley Rogers
FareShare South West, a local organisation that redistributes surplus food to frontline charities, community groups and schools across the region, is calling on individuals and businesses to offer support during the coronavirus pandemic.
The organisation needs funding, food and volunteers to help maintain its service, especially as it is seeing an increasing demand as the pandemic develops. CEO Julian Mines said: “Whilst many of the charities and organisations we deliver to are having to adapt how they get food to their end users, such as handing out food parcels instead of hosting communal mealtimes, what is already clear is that the need for emergency food support will increase.
“We are working closely with Bristol City Council and other organisations to ensure a united and strategic approach.”
To continue to operate and increase provision, FareShare requires increased support in the form of:
- Funding support from businesses who can afford to bolster efforts, and donations via its website from individuals who are able to give;
- Food industry suppliers to divert more surplus food;
- Younger volunteers (20–40) who do not have any underlying health conditions, as many current volunteers are over 70 years old and as such are currently unable to contribute.
Mines added: “With the organisation only being able to operate as a result of our 120 volunteers, and with many being retired, we’ve seen volunteer numbers decrease rapidly in recent days. With stringent hygiene and guidelines in place, we are committed to continuing our operation but will need willing volunteers to do so.”
To contact FareShare:
- About funding, email: email@example.com
- As a supplier looking to divert surplus food, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To register interest in volunteering, visit: http://faresharesouthwest.org.uk/volunteer/
- To make a donation: http://faresharesouthwest.org.uk/support-us/donate-to-fareshare-south-west/
- To find out more: http://faresharesouthwest.org.uk/